Monday, June 2, 2014

The Salkantay Trail's Longest Day

It wasn’t easy getting out of our sleeping bags on the second day. Ice cracked and fell off the tent flap when the porters delivered the morning coca tea at 6 a.m. It was warmer than the night before, but the sun hadn’t crested the mountains yet.

The highest point of the trek.
After breakfast, we started on what would prove to be our longest day of hiking, climbing for the first hour to the top of the pass at 4,600 meters or just over 15,000 feet.

Coming from Colorado, Fran and I had a slight edge with altitude, but the highest point of the trek was still three times higher than Denver, and I found myself stopping every couple hundred feet to catch my breath, as my heart was beating out of my chest.

When we finally reached the top, we were staring up at Salkantay Mountain, a peak so imposing that no one has ever reached the summit.

There was an audible sigh of relief when the group realized that the rest of the day would be primarily downhill. I did not share that sentiment, however. I’ve run enough downhill races to know the toll it can take on my body, and as I stared out over the distance to where we were heading, I knew we were going to feel every step.

I was excited, though, that we were about to descend through three microclimates during the course of a few hours.

Leaving the Andes and entering the cloud forest.
We dropped pretty quickly, pulling over to the side periodically to let horses pass. About two hours in, we walked through a community of farmers mixed with several group campsites next to one of the rivers we would be following for the next few days.

Throughout the trek, Ruben would stop us every 15 minutes or so and say, “OK, buddies. Everybody good, good? Let’s take a baby break. Everybody water, water.” Clearly he was well seasoned in the hike and knew we needed to conserve energy and remain hydrated.

It was also at this point when Ruben told us that we should reach lunch in “about two hours.”

The downhill march continued. After another 90 minutes, he said we should get to our lunch spot “in about two hours.” Needless to say, we were all starting to get a little hungry and some of us may have edged on cranky.

As I expected, the downhill was doing a number on my quads, and I think all of us stubbed our toes or at least kicked the end of our hiking boots a couple hundred times that day. Fran, coughing and clearly feeling the misery of the cold some idiot gave to her, started getting blisters on her feet and her right big toe was starting to match the dark nail polish she had on it. One look confirmed that she had a 0.002 percent chance of keeping the toenail.

When we finally reached the dining tents for lunch, the whole group was pretty tired, and a few people were really suffering from heat exhaustion.

Not knowing what kind of weather we would experience, we packed for just about every contingency, carrying rain jackets and pants in our daypacks. However, that would prove pointless since the sun shined every day with almost no cloud coverage. As it turned out, the one thing we didn’t pack enough of was sunscreen.

Flavio once again surprised us at lunch, serving up stuffed avocados, soup and meat over rice. I was amazed at every meal with his creativity and ability to cook somewhat lavish spreads while camping. Every meal he made was delicious, and there was never a time I left the table hungry.

My feet were throbbing, and I wanted nothing more than to take my hiking boots off. I was actually wearing my Brooks trail runners because I figured out last year that I liked hiking in them more than I did hiking boots. It was true again, but eventually I started feeling like every rock on the trail was pushing through my sole, and the sides of my feet felt like they had doubled in size.

We had descended 2,000 meters already, and we had another 800 to go before reaching our campsite another 3-4 hours away.

The march continued through the cloud forest and into the rainforest.

Finally we reached a small town, took a hidden trail down to the river and across a bridge before reaching a road. From there we could see our tents in the distance.

There was a second Wayki group with us throughout the five days, but we remained separated most of the time in order to keep the group sizes more manageable.

But when we hobbled up to our campsite, which was actually in someone’s backyard, the other group was celebrating. They were literally throwing their hands in the air and giggling.

“There’s a working toilet, and it even has a seat,” one of them said.

We, too, let out whoops of joy.

Our bathroom at lunch. Yes, that hole you see inside is the toilet.
I know it’s strange, but the thought of an actual bathroom was among the most beautiful sites we had seen during a day when we had seen thousands of beautiful sites.

People don’t talk about it much, but toilets are one of the most common differences between countries.

In Peru, many toilets, including the ones at the Cusco market and at our lunch spot on this day, are simply holes to straddle. I honestly have no idea what the proper way to use that type of toilet. Fran keeps telling me it’s not that hard, you just straddle it. I’m pretty sure I would pee all over my pants while trying and/or fall in the hole.

Most of the ones we ran across in Peruvian cities had basins but no seats. You had better be prepared with your own toilet paper if you need it, too, because almost none of the bathrooms in Peru have it. And, like most places in Latin America, you can’t flush toilet paper because the pipes can’t handle it. Instead, there are small trash cans near every toilet. Needless to say, it all takes a little getting used to.

And, of course, the celebration about the toilet at the campsite was completely justified. To top it off, there was also a shower. It was free if we wanted cold water, or 10 soles if we opted for hot water. Ten soles is about $3.33. Almost all of us made the investment.

Being in the rainforest meant a significant number of bugs. We sprayed most of our clothes with permethrin before we went, and I had sprayed myself with bug spray throughout the day.

However, after I took my socks off and stood in line for the shower, I was bitten 21 times by mosquitos. Every single bite was below my sock line. Mosquitos generally love me, so it was not a big surprise. The bites generally get pretty swollen on me, but these bugs left small, flat red circles with a dark spot in the middle, almost resembling tiny nipples (which must have meant that I had 23 nipples at the time).

Freshly showered, we ate another great dinner and laid out our plans for our third day of hiking.

We were halfway to Machu Picchu.

No comments:

Post a Comment