Sunday, June 30, 2013

Update to "Just" and "Only"



Therefore, I think it’s only right that I clarify. There are instances when the words are justified, and in fact encouraged when relating to running.

And I would like to thank my friends for pointing out these great examples. If you have others, please feel free to add them to the comments section at the bottom.

Here are a few of my favorites I heard:

·      I just ran a marathon, so I’m going to eat an entire pizza.
·      A 5K is just over three miles.
·      I am only eating cheeseburgers and drinking beer, because I just did an Ironman.

Those are perfectly acceptable exceptions to the rule.

On the other hand, the worst usage in the history of running came from Ben Reeves yesterday, when he uttered the words, “Just Leadville.” For those of you that don’t know, when a runner says “Leadville,” he is generally referring to a 100-mile torcher-fest that starts at 9,200 feet of elevation and climbs as high as 12,600, and of course I’m not talking about a single climb. There may be tougher races out there, but there certainly aren’t a lot of them. No matter what, the original rule should never be broken when referring to Leadville. In Ben’s defense, I think the question that led to that was something like, “What races do you have coming up?” So, it may be in the gray area.

If you have any other exceptions and/or terrible violations, I want to hear them.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent points. We need to expand our vocabulary and bring back the use of "merely." If said with a Eurotrash accent, it adds a level of pretentiousness that is hard to top.

    ReplyDelete